The Oliver Family Reports
Give advice to yourself in the past.
Advice to Carol, January 1987, Age 29
1. Rebel harder against those who profess to have your best interest at heart.
2. Reassure Michael that you know intuitively what's best for you and Jamie.
3. Go to The Farm.
4. Don't be afraid. It's been done forever.
5. Trust no one except Michael, those you can trust are too young to help you.
6. Leave Panama City while your illusions are still intact.
7. Don't deceive yourself that a grandchild will change your mother's allegience. She made her choice long ago. It's not you.
8. Save yourself from the agony of working out all the repercussions in therapy later by trusting yourself now.
9. Fight to have your son how you like, not just keep him how you like.
10. Talk about religion and how to impart it to your children.
11. Show your spiritual side more.
12. Let Jamie come in his own time, not at the convenience of others.
13. Use knives only when necessary.
14. Insist they move the screen.
15. Don't send the letter. It won't have the effect you're hoping for. It will only provide him a way to manipulate the ending to be your fault, far-fetched as that sounds.
16. Don't expect help. They all have their own lives already.
17. You're still and always will be the outsider. Proximity cannot equal flesh and blood.
18. Blood may be thicker than water, but it's not thicker than semen.
19. Fight against being a homebody. Don't make going out such a foreign concept that it becomes uncomfortable.
20. Set a date night. Spend a little on it. It's worth the investment. Budget for it. Always.